CFIF Rules, Guidelines and Regulations*
- Arrive early and stay late. Cheer, clap, and encourage others. We are islanders and islanders foster community spirit. Therefore we encourage your presence and support as part of the community.
- Yes, we will eventually get to know your name and trust that you aren’t on a covert mission from the C.I.A. However, until we do, please bring your ID card OR Driver’s Licence with you every time, in order to validate your membership. You never know when someone new will be at the front desk.
- Individual WODing is to be done during Open Gym times only. As we try to conduct a group session we do not need you in the corner distracting us as you go for a new Personal Record or Personal Best (PR or PB). Refer to point #1 above.
- Accidents and injuries happen and usually come as a result of impatience, too much ego, trying too hard and your lack of attention to self. Don’t be overly eager. Slow down. Ask questions. Ask for help. Upward progression in strength, speed and ability WILL COME. Learn S.T.R.O.M.S and heed it. Do NOT continue a session if you feel dizzy, light-headed, faint, weak, sick to the stomach etc.
- Let the coaches coach! We have experienced coaches who know the ‘who’, ‘how’, ‘what’, ‘where’ and ‘why’ of coaching a class. Feel free to support a fellow athlete but leave the technical side to us please.
- Treat equipment with respect, but don’t baby it. Bars loaded with bumpers and medicine balls are meant to be picked up and dropped. Respect the equipment by using it heavy and hard, but don’t abuse it. NEVER DROP BARS WITH 25LBS OR LESS PER SIDE THOUGH! Please and thank you.
- Bags on the training floor is uncool. Your fellow athletes-in-training would prefer to have every square inch of the facility as their playground and would rather not be tripping over your stuff. Besides, your bag may not be as pretty as you think anyway. Leave it in the designated area for bags.
- Chalk is useful, even necessary. It is also messy. Use as much as you need, but keep the excess inside the chalk pail/bucket! We don’t need chalky floors or equipment.
- CrossFit IslandFit is for use by adults or those under strict adult supervision. Persons under 18 may not register without an adult’s written consent and may not use the facility without adult supervision.
- Clean up and put away all equipment after each workout. We ent ya mudda and you are either an adult or accompanied by one. So clean up sweat, spit, blood, chalk, dirt, vomit, handprints, and whatever else you’ve left behind. By the way, if you’re going to vomit, run outside or to the washroom. Please and thank you.
- We love to share experiences of joy and success, not sweat or spit (ewww, gross!). So bring your own towel, mat and water. Fa real dread, bring ya own tings. Especially the water. We all need water!
- Grunting, screaming, and otherwise making noise are all welcomed and encouraged during a workout. Yes, there is such a thing as gentle, quiet strength, but most of us haven’t mastered that yet. Also remember that there can be such a thing as too loud, crass, gross, or rude – common sense rule applies, please be respectful of our community and those who inhabit it.
- Don’t make us ask you for money! Your expiry date is on your receipt. Yes you can pre-pay. Sessions/Classes do NOT “roll-over” into the next month. Enough said.
- We love that you want to travel and can appreciate the fact that sometimes work forces you to. If you are going to be away for three weeks or more, do us the courtesy of prior notification by email or hard copy documentation and we’ll do you the courtesy of crediting your time back. This of course depends on you satisfying #13 above. Have you been ill? If you are able, notify us of your impending absence; THEN bring us a doctor’s note upon your return, stating the length of your required absence and we will credit your time back.
- We are respectful but we are not always politically correct. We play loud, ‘bashy’ music, sometimes with cussin’, as well as classical pieces, R&B and calypso. We also curse loudly, joke, yell, grunt, scream, sweat, bleed, etc. You will too. Wait pun it.
- Have Fun, Laugh & Smile a lot. Yes, you’re going to work harder than you thought possible. Yes, it will be unpleasant during the session. So what? Have safe, responsible, fun with it. CrossFit IslandFit is a playground and while we’re constantly increasing work capacity, we’re having a great time as well.
- Work hard. The harder you work, the better you’ll get. Effort is more important than any other attribute. DON’T BE EMBARASSED OR ASHAMED if you have a 50 lb deadlift and the person next to you has a 500lb deadlift; if your Fran time is 30 minutes and someone else finished in 3; if you can’t go Rx’d (Prescribed weight etc) and scale every workout – AS LONG AS YOU ARE TRYING YOUR HARDEST, SAFELY.
- Check “EGO” at the door. Don’t bring that stuff into the gym. Sometimes it’s hard to let this go, especially for the male species but you have to acknowledge that your abilities have limits. CrossFit is magical in its ability to destroy egos. You have been warned.
- Introduce yourself. CrossFit IslandFit is more than a gym. It’s a community. If you see an Islander you haven’t met yet, please introduce yourself, as they may need to revive your unconscious body later and “Listen, you! Try an’ wake up nuh…” is just so impersonal.
- Dress code. We don’t need no so-‘n’-so dress code. Dresses are totally optional. So are shirts and undies for that matter. Just come dressed to exercise!
- You’re allowed to cry before, during and after the training session. Just don’t act like a baby.
- Show up consistently. Then be present. Every rep. Every round. Every exercise. Give your all. Coming once in a while just will not do here as there is so much to learn and experience and to grow from! Let it happen!
- Learn the correct Technique for every exercise and practice it Consistently then increase Intensity by doing it Faster and for longer Durations. Your ability to hold great, fast technique over a long period (called TechStam©) will directly improve your performance and your improved performance will drive you to improved results. This is the principle of Technique Stamina or TechStam © (borrowed from M.E.R.I).
- Consume lean protein and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and NO sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support improving your exercise performance but not excess body fat. Read the nutrition page here. Drink water!
- While we’re on the topic of food…please don’t eat or bring food into the Box. I mean, seriously, who wants to smell your food while on their 10th round of Burpees?! Smart snacks like fruit and nuts are fine.
- Read the section on Fitness Test and Elements. Go ahead. We’ll wait….. *fingers tapping* …. Oh hiii! Welcome back! So remember that stuff…mmm k?
- The back door isn’t an entrance. Ummm…No. No, it’s not an entrance. Please enter and exit the facility through the orange door. On the subject of entering and exiting, ALWAYS notify an instuctor when leaving the training floor /class AND upon returning. Please and thank you.
- Our warm-ups are done independently. When you’re new you’ll realize this at your first class. Don’t worry, just reach out to someone and say “Hi, I’m new. Could you show me the warm-up please?” Then poof! They will! It’s called the principle of “Each one, teach one” and soon it will be your turn to show someone else.
- If you are diabetic or have high Blood Pressure, or have any other condition which may negatively affect your performance, it is your duty to inform the Coach/Coaches. Stay safe by being smart. We know you’re intelligent so quit trying to hide it.
- We expect you to practice your Elements: at home, in the office, during Open Gym etc. Please don’t come to class after 3 weeks not knowing what your Deadlift, Air Squat etc is supposed to look like. You gets no respect fa dat. None. Zippo. Nada. I mean, it tells you right on the Elements sheet….sheesh!
Further IMPORTANT info:
- What is this Rhabdo thing anyway?
- How to avoid Rhabdo.
- Ten tips for starting CrossFit.
- Getting started with CrossFit.
- The Importance of Water.
- How to recover properly from a workout.
“Adapted from CrossFit NaturalState”
*This site will always have the most relevant and up-to-date rules and regulations governing our facility. Please refer to this page frequently.